Friday, September 10, 2010

Pheasant footstool wins a blue ribbon at the MN State Fair


My friend Judy has been twisting my arm the past few years to enter a piece in the state fair.  This year I entered my pheasant footstool.  It was in an unusual category, #247 Hooked rag item other than a rug.  To my surprise, it won first place.

I have to laugh when I think back to designing this piece.  I had been getting comments that my color palette was too bright for most Minnesotans.  Originally the pheasant was my attempt to tone things down.  I was doing pretty good using earth tones until I got to the border.  By the time I painted the footstool, I couldn't restrain myself from dipping my brush in bright colors.

Congrats to Judy whose rug won first place at the Washington County Fair and second place in the Minnesota County Sweepstake Rug Contest at the State Fair.  Thanks for the nudge I need to get my work out in the public.

No comments:

Post a Comment